Friday, February 08, 2008

Interesting point of view

As an avid sports fan I have often been amazed by the sports writer that devotes a column to the ball game I just saw and as I read the column I scratch my head and ask myself, was he watching the same game I was? He says, 'the big play was a fluke', I say it was brilliant! How can that be?

Then there's the sports writer that loves to write about drugs, high payrolls and owners profits and easily puts aside the game and who's playing. What we love about sports, is the game, not who's testifying before Congress. Obviously, some love to read about the low side of the game. Too bad really, the game is a wonderful thing. So is America. It's the same with politics, there are two points of view about everything from abortion, to the economy, to defense. Conservatives vs. liberals, even the media has multiply points of view.

I think of America as an optimistic, can-do, should-do, nation, always has been and always will be, but there are many that disagree. They believe in the Dark Side; we have done to much, we should hold back, slow down, back off, don't be so pushy. They believe America is to blame for warming the planet, for imperialism, causing an economic world crisis, creating an unstable Middle East, etc. If something is wrong in the world America is surly to blame.

I, quite naturally, disagree. I'm not going to bore you with my reasons just now, but suffice to say that if you believe America is to blame for a screwed up world, I'm not interested in your gloom and doom reasons just now either.

What I will concede is that I don't see any American leader on the horizon that will have the moral strength of character, leadership and vision to guide the Dark Side into the light of optimism.

Too bad we don't elect the most qualified leaders, only the one's who run the best campaigns.

When history is examined it proves that winning the game is the reason it's played. America plays the game around the world every day, and we play to win. Our corporations play to win, our military plays to win, our state department plays to win, and I like it that way. Those that stand in the way of winning are the problem, not the other way 'round as many would have you believe.

No comments: